I arrived in Tostedt with no problems. My host family, Ute, Herr David, Patrice and Marcel are all very nice and very interesting people. Although, I didnt expect to be hurled into the oh so very fun world of "germans do this" "americans do that" "germans are more sensible" with a hint of "our way is better" tossed into the mix. I dont mind really, except ive been there, done that, heard that, and dont feel like explaining incessantly the fact that you cant generalize things like that, because I can counter almost everything they say but have no bock for it. bock means urge, energy, etc....Funny thing is, Germans come across as so umwelt (environment) friendly, and my host family in particular, but I was in bremen today with Marcel and Sebi, and the river was DISGUSTING, the most garbage I have seen in any river EVER, as ten year olds were tossing their cigarrette butts in. oh btw, german law changed so you have to be 18 to buy cigarrettes, and now they are enforcing the law that you have to be 18 to buy liquor, and cant smoke in many public places. Tomorrow im supposed to chaperone some trip to the university hospital with seventh graders to show them what cancerous lungs from smoking look like and introduce them to an emphazeeeeema patient. fun. way to scare the poop out of them with the "nicht rauchen ist kool" program. speaking of poop, me thinks its really strange to poop onto a platform in a toilet. I mean, I shouldnt be so picky, but for some reason I feel uncomfortable going number two now, and that surely cant be good for my health. Especially when there are no matches to be found, anywhere, in our bathroom. cough. now im getting out of line I think, enough with the poo talk. haha. poo. Magurite, Trey, and Felix would appreciate that certainly. I digress. So my first day in the school I sat in on...two english classes? maybe? and a two period french class. Its been awkward switching from german to french to english etc.... I taught my first full lesson that day, but not really taught, more like answered questions and introduced them to some parts of the American School System and the typical day in the life of an Ami. That was fun. I have also taught/assisted in the 11a, 5d, 6e?, 8d, and 9b classes, as well as today another french class, I helped students with their postcards they were writing to one another as they were on "vacation". My period with 9b was a LOT of fun, it was two periods of us discussing the American Dream, Sustainable Development, Advertising/Market techniques (no joke), Dixie Chicks vs. Pink and being labled unpatriotic (we watched pinks dear mr. president video which is AMAZING!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DEh0eSpNvY ) and I talked to them about the slight shift in american popular sentiments toward pres. bush jr.. Told them about different cultures even across states in the US. Told them about what I want to do with my future, and then played a word association game with them. I asked them if they wanted to do an ArbeitsGemeinschaft with me (AG) and every single one of them was like YAAAAH. They were very nice. Actually, I have only had good experiences with the classes so far. lets see how the rest of the year goes, I have to still plan out my schedule, hopefully with either friday or monday off. Im really excited to work with the students, many are very engaged and interesting. I think I might start Capoeira. Yah, that will be fun (spoken like Robin Williams). Ive been to three parties so far. I played volleyball last Friday with Marcel, Patrice, Sebastian, Eich, Leo, Simon, and Ferdi, I think. That was a lot of fun, they are all very good. Then I went out to a party with Marcel in his friends and met a lot of people, had some shisha (apple I think) and played some game with dosen (cans) that you had to knock over, and if you did your team got to drink until the other team set them back up and brought the crushed can you threw back to their side and said stop. First to austrink gewinnt. I wasnt that good. I like to enjoy a good beer now and then, not drink it so fast you cant taste it. We played some foozeball and got into some discussions about politics...naturally. Germans are very adept and up to date. Props. I met Golem, Robbi, Tim, Sara (who is having a gathering this week I think), Ferdi was there, another Sebastian I think, and a few others whose names I cant remember unfortunately, but I hope to see them all again, they were a lot of fun and really nice. Then the next day we went to a party at Smid's house and played billards and haben gemeyert (its a game you play with dice and have to get the other person to think you lied to them about the number you rolled, etc...). Marcel bought me a handy off ebay for fifteen euros, now I only have to buy a sim card and minutes then ill have one finally so I can actually call people and hang out. Marcel leaves friday for France. Im excited for him. I went out yesterday shopping with Kerstin and Camilla from Brazil which was nice, they are a lot of fun and we had a great dinner. Kerstin is trying to find me a place to rent, hopefully that will work. I am 23, arent I? But if I have to, I wont mind staying here, I enjoy their company very much. Either way. Tomorrow im hanging out with Toysrus, aka Jeffrey in Hamburg and that should be a grand ole time, full of shinanigans im sure. I have yet to see Hamburg, so im excited. Friday is party time for Marcel!!!
Until then my lieblings,
Namaste and Peace,
Shim
Until then my lieblings,
Namaste and Peace,
Shim

2 comments:
Oh Shim,
You are sorely missed, but I know your great attitude will influence young and old alike. I imagine you must be a bit off your mark still but, it will all come together.xo Blessings, A.
and it was a grand ole time, right? i thought so anyway.
Post a Comment